Thursday, September 14, 2006

i want to ACT!

The theatre is my life. There are so many things that I can connect it to. It's where I've grown up, it's the only thing that I think I might, kind of have a chance in. I was in advanced acting classes for four years. These classes were looked upon as college prep classes. Now, I am in a beginning acting class. It is ridiculous. I don't want to act for a living, but this is driving me crazy! I understand people don't know as much about the theatre or acting as I do, and that's not to say that I know everything or even a lot. I do know what I'm talking about though. It is so frusterating to have a teacher tell me I shouldn't do a monolouge because the character is too old for me. That is why we call this acting! It would be different if the character was 60 and I had very little training. However, this is not the case. The charcter is about 15 years older, which yes that is a lot, but I have read the script multiple times. I understand what is required of me. It is ridiculous to be told I shouldn't take the challenge just because it will be hard. Isn't there a quote out there that says "if it's not hard it's not worth doing." There is. I know there is because it's in my book of quotes.
I don't want to sit in an acting class and not challenge myself. I want to make a character choice and it either be so amazing that I blow everyone away or so wrong that I fall flat on my face. I do not want to do anything in the middle though and I don't want to do something easy.

1 comment:

D Hadbawnik said...

erin

that sounds frustrating -- hopefully your acting prof will come around and let you stretch out a bit. in shakespeare's day, all the roles, male and female, were played by men. i believe there's a troupe in austin that does it the opposite -- every role is played by women. you might check out some independent troupes and see if you can work with them.